Sunday, January 31, 2016

Getting More Tech Savvy

As an O.P. (Old Person) I really have to push myself to keep up in a world that is more and more being lived virtually, online, by means of texts, tweets, and YouTube videos. I’m going to lay aside for now my Old Person belief that we are hurtling much too far in that direction and in danger of losing our groundedness in what we can actually touch, hear, and feel. I plan to spend the next couple of months working to become more tech savvy.

Here’s where I am right now—not up to date, but some years beyond the 20th century. I have a desktop computer and a tablet, but no smart phone. I do have an ordinary cell phone, but I don’t use all the features on that. I have a Facebook page (I’ve been told to refer to that as FB), which is sadly in need of attention, and a brand new Author FB page. I have an outlook account and a gmail account. And I have this blog.

I need to update my computer skills, especially with applications related to writing and publishing, starting with Scrivener and In Design. I have good intentions, but I’m impatient with long learning curves. (There are so many interesting things to do, like collage, tap dance, and walk outdoors in nature.) But Scrivener and In Design would be useful tools, and I need to spend the time necessary to learn them.

I’d appreciate any suggestions (shirleywilsey@gmail.com). In the meantime, I pledge to do the following:
  • Check my email and FB page daily.
  • Post to this blog at least twice a week.
  • Finish the Scrivener tutorial.
  • Watch at least one how-to video.
That will do it for now. I don’t want to set myself up for failure. Wish me luck.

1 comment: